Week 6: Final Part 1

Site Map:
Flowchart:

 Week 4: App Screen Sketches

I tested these screens out on ten different people to see the effectiveness of the placement of elements on the app. What I found was that 8 of the 10 people preferred the drop down bar on the home screen to be on the bottom rather than on the side of the value slot. Although most preferred the drop down tab to be on the bottom, everyone found the rectangular buttons for convert, convert again, and save conversion to be most effective and easier to use. This being rather than the circular buttons. With that feedback, I'm finding it best to combine the two home screens to have the elements that worked best for the people i tested it on. I also found that people preferred the login screen that has a profile picture and more open space on the screen (the top left login screen). 






Week 4: Final Sketches

For the final sketches, we used our previous sketches and the knowledge from testing to result in the best solution for the screens. Simplicity was key and that was a common theme throughout making these final sketches. The focus was on efficiency, usability, and looking profession, which we believed we achieved in our final sketches. 



BW Screens

For our black and white screens on illustrator, we essential took the final sketch design and tried to refine them even more in a digital setting for the first time. This allowing us to play around with button placement, size, and shape, as well as overall layout in a digital format. 

















Icon Sketches

For the logos, I played around with many different formats and ideas. My first thought was to use the "express" part of the app name to make the icon. This instantly made me think of express trains, so I started playing around with the idea of a train as the icon. Although, I feel as these sketches are more complex than successful app icons. So, although it could work, I don't think they would be the most effective. My next thought also pertained to the word "express", but in a different meaning. This time going in the direction of express shipping. This is where I can to the idea of using arrows to show quick and easy use of the app. In doing that, I made a logo that could give an identity to the app which was a "C" and "E" contained in a circle. This gave the app name initials in an appealing to the eye format. Overall, I felt the arrow logos were more effective, mainly because of simplicity.  

Personas: Ariana, Mark, and Nicole

ARIANA 

  • Demographics 

  • Age: 18 

  • Occupation: Student 

  • Location: Harrisburg PA 

  • Goals 

  • Wants to study Chemistry in college 

  • Wants to get good grades 

  • Doesn’t want to worry about internet connection 

  • User behaviors 

  • Types quickly on phone 

  • Struggles with mental math 

  • Frequently works on homework 

MARK 

  • Demographics 

  • Age: 15 

  • Occupation: Student 

  • Location: Vienna, VA 

  • Goals: 

  • Wants to graduate high school and go into a trade school for carpentry 

  • Doesn’t want to worry about school work 

  • Prefers using free time to be with friends 

  • User behaviors 

  • Always carries phone 

  • Can use most simple apps easily 

  • Despises math class 

NICOLE 

  • Demographics 

  • Age: 38 

  • Occupation: Nurse 

  • Location: New York, NY 

  • Goals 

  • Wants to renovate her kitchen 

  • Takes care of kids at home 

  • Wants to succeed as single mother 

  • User behaviors 

  • Has trouble with technology 

  • Doesn’t get much free time 

  • Low patience  





Comments